iPad Digital Artist / iPhoneographer
Abstract & Experimental Painter
artuitive.net – my art, videos and blogs
iPadArtSoCal.com – class info, student work
Susie’s Bio, Awards, Events, Galleries, Media
My current passion is creating art on my iPad with the many fabulous new art apps available. There’s no mess, no clean-up and no need to store paintings waiting for their next home! My abstract digital collages are full of of the same energy, texture and excitement as my traditional work. Instead of using washi papers, acrylic ink, watercolor and found objects, I use a variety of iPad art apps. Whimsy and play are still my top goals.
Through the generous teaching grant from the Kenneth A. Picerne Foundation’s <Artist Outreach Project> I learned to teach both iPad art and traditional collage. Knowing how to do something is far different from teaching it….as I found out. And by the way, I LOVE teaching.
As a young child I was the fortunate student of Gerald Brommer, a world-class elementary school teacher who has become a well-loved international artist. I loved when we studied the ocean and raised my hand vigorously to draw the fish. Mine had bright colors, lots of interesting lines and reasonable fish-like shapes. The vibrant paintings and organic intersecting designs that fill my work today are informed by our years together.
Not content to stay still, I’ve explored life in Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Austin, Atlanta, Hilton Head and now Laguna Woods. I’ve created watercolor and acrylic paintings, large textural abstracts and experimental art, had fund-raisers, shows, rented studios and taught collage and iPad Art classes. Now I’m permanently back home in SoCal and am never leaving!
Hope you’ll join me.
Awards, Events & Galleries
- 2011 Hilton Head Art League Gallery
- 2011-12 ArtLofts of Beaufort, Artist Studios & Gallery
- 2011 International Juried Show Hilton Head Art League Gallery
- 2012 Society of Bluffton Artists Gallery
- 2012 Beaufort Art Association Juried Spring Show – Memorial Award for City Rhythms
- 2012 National HealthCare & Alzheimer’s Association One-Woman Show to raise funds for Alzheimer’s Assn
- 2013 Laguna Woods Art Association Oil-Acrylic Exhibition – Third Place for Surprise
- 2013 Laguna Woods City Council Chambers – City on the River
- 2013 Susi-Q Gallery, Laguna Beach, CA – group exhibit – City of Angels
- 2014 Light, Space & Time, “All Women Competition” – Special Recognition City Runways
- 2014 The Studio Gallery, Irvine CA, Solo show –Signs of the City
- 2014 Orange County Fine Arts (Juried membership) Showcase Gallery – “Driven to Abstraction” – 2nd Place Award for City Litter
- Represented by Gallery 825, West Hollywood, CA
- 2014 Southbay Contemporary – “FRESH” – Electro Vocab, combo digital and traditional painting printed on metal
- 2014 Irvine Fine Arts Center – “All Media Exhibition” – City on the River, City on the River #2
- 2015 OCCCA – “CHAOS” – Yoga Maiden, abstract acrylic; Dementia – 3 digital paintings
- 2015 Recipient of the Kenneth A. Picerne Foundation Artist Outreach Project teaching grant.
- 2015 Gallery 825 – “VS” – Digital collaboration with Lenka Talska using the iPad app Procreate to make Ess Ess Mein Kindt a portrait of a Jewish mother, printed on aluminum
- 2015 “Mobile Digital and Creative Arts Summit Exhibition”, juried show, Love Wins – digital painting
- 2015 “Water: A Necessary Conversation”, juried show of the SoCal Women’s Caucus for the Arts, Water Signs – Laguna Woods – photo collage
- 2016 John Wayne Airport, Orange County CA, Community Focus Space Program, SOLO SHOW featuring 11 paintings and photo collages in five airport locations.
- 2016 OCCCA – “TXtMe” – Water Signs, Laguna Woods, photo collage on aluminum
- “Art for Alzheimer’s” Sunsations Magazine, 2012
- “Artist Gives Back” Bluffton Today, 2012
- “Through the Purple Door” Island Packet News, 2012
- “Art by Susie Stockholm” – video (click the Video tab on <artuitive.net/blog>) 2013
- “Can I Afford Original Art?” – video (click the Video tab on <artuitive.net/blog>) 2013
- “Conversations with Susie” – interviewed Ellen Rose, award-winning artist and
Louise Doslu iPad portrait artist <talkwithsusie.com> 2013
- “Floral Textures” An Experiment in Movement – book, 2011 Channel 6 – Morning Show ThisDay with Ken Goldenberg, Laguna Woods 2014
- San Clemente Times, June 18, 2015 – Making Waves, Student Art Show
- John Wayne Airport Displays New Age Art http://www.ocair.com/newsroom/news/?nr=nr-2016-01-11
- Art on the Fly – Orange County Register, http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stockholm-701749-art-different.html